Senior Planning Officer
Novax are currently seeking a motivated and experienced Senior Planning Officer to join a Planning and Development team based in Hackney. This position offers a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an individual with a strong background in urban planning and a passion for shaping the future of Hackney.
£22 - £24 per hour PAYE.
Monday - Friday.
36 hours per week.
To be responsible for progressing a full range of Development Management matters within an area based team, including lead responsibility for the handling of pre-application advice, planning applications and appeals and taking a role in performance management, negotiations with developers and other interested parties, securing financial and other community benefits through legal agreements.
- To have specific responsibility for co-ordinating the Planning Appeal function for the Development Management Team, taking the lead role as necessary on planning appeals, particularly Public Inquiries.
- To achieve timely, effective Planning outcomes which uphold the Council's Core Values and meet the challenges of best practice.
- To deputise for the team leader as required.
- To ensure statutory and legal obligations are delivered and communicated in a customer focused manner, optimising available responses.
- To represent the Council as an expert spokesperson on issues related to the functional area.
- To be a lead officer for the Authority in their particular area of specialism.
- To be responsible for the mentoring of more junior staff, and contribute towards staff training and development
- To take the lead for specific Development Management projects including major applications and appeals, and be the senior member of an area based team working to agreed deadlines with identifiable outcomes.
- To be responsible for ensuring that the work of the team is customer focused and achieves appropriate changes and improvements.
Skills and Requirements:
- Experience of effectively planning, managing and monitoring programmes of work.
- Post Graduate qualification in Town Planning and membership of, or eligibility for the RTPI. (Mandatory Criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate planning experience across a range of work areas. Experience of mentoring staff.
- Ability to mentor staff and provide guidance and direction to individuals, so as to gain commitment and ownership.
- Ability to empower and motivate staff and to build and contribute to effective team working in a pro-active manner
- Ability to produce and present clear, concise and effective reports, both written and verbal.
- Ability to produce letters and memoranda, which are both customer friendly, accurate and concise.
- Ability to communicate effectively with service users e.g. negotiations, presenting evidence or advice in a public forum within Hackney's diverse community.
- Ability to plan, manage and monitor projects and programmes of work, including ability to act on own initiative and meet deadlines
- Ability to manage an extensive and demanding workload in order to meet performance targets.
- Ability to successfully organise and prioritise personal workload with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use new technology to assist in improving service delivery and personal performance.
- Ability of working at a senor level within Development Management.
- Experience of negotiation on complex applications to secure community benefits
- Experience of providing services to customers and being accountable for these services.
- Experience of developing and/or implementing service improvements projects including understanding of quality assurance systems.
- Experience of ensuring the delivery of planning projects and/or Development Management functions within agreed timescales and with quality outcomes.
Interested candidates should apply directly now, or contact 0161 241 0370, for more information on the Senior Planning Officer opportunity.