Network Infrastructure Engineer
As our Network Infrastructure Engineer, you will work with cutting edge technology, helping to keep Met Office employees and contractors connected both internally and to the outside world and supporting our world-leading scientific capabilities.
Monday - Friday, 5 days per week, based at our Exeter HQ.
£400 - $450 per day PAYE.
We have an amazing team of circa 20 engineers, and this is an exciting time to join the team. You will be exposed to a mix of complex, technical issues and large-scale lifecycle projects.
There are opportunities for experiences in data centre networking, next generation firewalls, cloud-based security solutions and SD-WAN. The team encourages and promotes knowledge sharing and mentoring for service improvements and professional development.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Implement network designs and changes as required by the organisation to meet the demands of systems delivery.
- The maintenance of the Met Office network, this includes administering and installing devices from industry leaders such as Cisco and Fortinet, DNS, and load balancing for Met Office services and products.
- Respond to and take ownership of challenging problems. Investigating and diagnosing complex technical issues, working with colleagues, users, and suppliers as appropriate.
- Assist in the supervision of network engineering works at Exeter HQ and remote sites.
- Maintaining technical documentation and mentoring team on technical issues.
- Monitoring network performance, security and integrity.
- Work closely with technology experts and lead network specialists within the Met Office to deliver and improve services.
It is expected that the focus will be to reduce the burden on the team by providing Business as Usual (BAU) support for the Met Office network, predominantly responsible for responding to incidents, investigating problems, and implementing changes. This role may also be asked to work on network-related projects although the primary purpose will be BAU support.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Current formal qualifications in networking (e.g., CCNA, CCNP) or equivalent knowledge and experience. (Keep evolving)
- Proven enterprise networking technical ability. (Expert by nature)
- An understanding of network security best practices and technologies with a demonstrable knowledge of firewalls, secure access, and secure configuration (Better together - eg. evidence of developing effective and well-functioning teams who have worked on published research
- Proven analytical ability and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of working in an ITIL-based (or similar) support environment.
- Effective planning and experience communicating technical concepts, problems and solutions to colleagues and customer stakeholders. (Better Together)
If you are interested in this Network Infrastructure Engineer opportunity, we encourage you to apply directly now, or call us on 0161 241 0370.